Midday host, Crystal Darche, from sister station, Peggy @ 99.1 has a copycat recipe of the Hard Rock Cafe’s famous Baby Rock Watermelon Ribs.
- Watermelon rind from about 1/2 a small watermelon
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup distilled vinegar
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 lbs baby back ribs
1. Cut off the green skin and about half an inch of the hard white part, keeping the part of the watermelon that is lighter red to white. Stay away from the harder, white rind just inside the green skin.
2. Put the rind into a food processor and puree for about only 10 seconds.
3. Strain the liquid from the pulp and use one cup of pulp, measured after straining. Combine the pulp with remaining ingredients in a medium size saucepan over high heat.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until it is as thick as you like.
5. Cut racks of ribs into plate size portions, 6 to 7 bones per rack.
6. Brush ribs with the sauce and wrap each rack individually in aluminum foil. Save some sauce for later.
7. Let ribs marinate overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 300 degrees (150 C.) F. Set the ribs with the seam of the foil facing up, into the oven. Bake for 2 to 21/2 hours or until tender.
9. Remove ribs from foil, baste with sauce and grill over hot BBQ for 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until you see several spots of charred sauce.
10. Serve with remaining sauce on the side.