It’s the time of year again, time to clean out your closets and let your neighbour riffle through your unwanted stuff on your lawn. The City of Winnipeg has two weekends a year known as FREE curbside giveaway weekends, one in the spring and one in the fall. So today if you want to get ride of that old tube TV, just put it outside with a sign marked free (you can download one from the city here) and someone will take it away for you – I can almost guarantee it. Retro gamers seek them out for ‘good’ resolution on those 64 bit games, or so I’ve heard.
Here are some tips if you want to give stuff away:
- Place unwanted household items at the curb on your front street.
- Label each item with a FREE sticker or sign.
- Store items out of sight that you don’t want to give away.
- Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday
And some tips on what you can’t giveaway:
- Items that could be unsafe
- Items that could harbour bed bugs (e.g., mattresses, furniture, bedding)
- Toilets (with a flush volume of 13 litres or more)
The city would also like to kindly remind you not to be a tool if you’re out treasure hunting. Don’t discard stuff on people’s lawns, don’t walk or drive on people’s lawns or gardens, obey traffic laws and watch out for little ones.
So if one man’s trash is another man’s treasure – what have you found that you couldn’t believe someone was throwing away? Good or bad.