Dictionary.com came up with this list based on how many people click the audio button next to a work online to hear how it’s pronounced. Gotta say I’m guilty of screwing up a few of these.
Here’s the top five:
1. Coupon. (Pronounced KOO-pon.) Tons of people say “KYOO-pon,” which is apparently wrong.
2. Mischievous. (Pronounced MISS-cheh-vous.) It’s three syllables, not four. Who knew?! Most people says “mich-CHEE-vee-ous.”
3. Reservoir. People ignore the second “R”, and say “res-UH-voir.” Yup…
4. This one really threw me: Prerogative. It starts with a “P-R-E.” So it’s “PRUH-rogative,” not “PER-ogative.”
5. Espresso. A lot of people say “EX-presso”, but obviously, that’s not it.
Also, the dessert “sherbet” is pronounced wrong a lot. People tend to say “sher-BERT”. It’s actually pronounced “SHER-bit”. Some people also say “sher-BAY”. Maybe if it was just spelled SHERBIT we could figure it out!