The Manitoba Marathon takes place this weekend at the University of Manitoba. We want you to be at your best, whether you’re participating in the marathon, volunteering at one of the many events or simply cheering on the runners. Here are some things you’ll need to know.
RACE DAY: Event Start Times
6:30am – Mini Mites Fun Run
6:55am – Wheelchair Marathon & Half Marathon
7:00am – Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries 26.2 mile Marathon
7:00am – Intrepid Dezine 13.1 mile Half Marathon Wave 1: Sub 1:50
7:10am – Intrepid Dezine 13.1 mile Half Marathon Wave 2
7:10am – Popeye’s Supplements Relay
7:15am, 7:17am – Free Press 10K
7:19am, 7:21am – Great West Life 2.6 mile Super Run
RACE KIT PICK UP: All race kits must be picked up at the 2 day Global News Fit Expo
- All runners are strongly advised to arrive at the University of Manitoba before 6:00am
- The University of Manitoba is CLOSED to vehicle traffic for the duration of the Manitoba Marathon
- The Manitoba Marathon has an expanded and very successful Start Smart (Park and Ride) program. A series of buses commutes from designated parking areas near the University, to and from the Start/Finish areas, beginning at 5:30 AM. We strongly recommend that all runners use this service. Plan on arriving at your Park & Ride before 6 a.m. to make the 7:00 a.m. Start.
- We encourage bicycles and have ample space for those taking active transport to leave their bikes with our secure bike valet service.
CHEERING ALONG THE COURSE
- Map out where you want to be, ahead of time. The Manitoba Marathon covers 26.2 miles of beautiful Winnipeg neighbourhoods, with a couple extra miles tossed in for the Half Marathon. Start by viewing or printing a copy of our Marathon Map (To be posted) or Super Run Map (To be posted). It shows the course for all events, as well as the locations some of the really exciting areas along the course – our Hospitality Stations, Ice Stations, and Relay Exchange Stations.
- Plan on when you should be there. Use our Time of Day chart below, to ensure that you get to see who you want to see! Remember to be flexible – your friends can be having a really good day or a tough one, so get there early and stay a bit later, just in case.
- Plan on how to get there. The Manitoba Marathon course is a closed “parade route” and you will not be allowed to drive on or cross the marathon route. Think ROAD CLOSURES and backed up traffic. So…give yourself enough time to reach your spot, choose where you need to get to, including any detours you may need to make, and plan to park and walk in to your viewing spot.
- Plan on how to find your friends. Know what they’re wearing!
- Help your runner friends find you! Sometimes it’s easier for runners to see you! Let them know where you expect to be, and which side of the road you plan to stand on. Consider balloons or signs to grab their attention!
CHEERING AT THE START AND FINISH AREAS
- Many spectators join us at our Start Lines and simply walk back to the University Stadium grandstands, to watch waves and waves of runners enter the stadium.
- The start and finish areas are located near each other, on the University of Manitoba campus. All events finish on the University Stadium track, with runners completing ¾ of a lap before finishing at mid-field in front of the grandstand.
- If you plan to be at the start and finish lines to watch your family or friends start or finish, you will face the same vehicle access (and timing) issues as the runners and walkers. Simply stated, many roads are closed, traffic backs up, and we strongly recommend that you check out our Race Day: Start and Finish Area map, to help you plan your day.
- Our Start/ finish line map shows the location of the Start and Finish, the Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Hospitality Square, and the “Meet me” areas.
- Our Park and Ride Map (PDF) will help you figure out how to get to and from the Start and Finish areas. Please remember that our park & ride shuttles give runners priorty over spectators, in getting to the Start area.
- Time of Day Start times & projected finishing times for each event are:
– Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries 26.2 Mile Manitoba Marathon: 7:00 and 9:15+
– Intrepid Dezine Half Marathon: 7:00 and 8:08+
– Popeye’s Supplements Relay: 7:10 and 9:30+
– Great-West Life Super Run: 7:15+ and 7:30+
– Winnipeg Free Press 10K: 7:15 AM and 8:05 AM+
On behalf of everyone at 97.5 BIG FM, GOOD LUCK! We’ll see you at the finish line!