CAA Manitoba and Winnipeg police officers sat in three seperate school zones one morning to assess drivers. They were in the zones from 7:30 until 9am, so only an hour and a half, and they saw 1,616 infractions from drivers!
Clearly Winnipeg drivers are NOT getting the hint: It’s a school zone, slow down, and watch for children. There were 173 instances of speeding and 587 instances of drivers not stopping at a stop line or crosswalk. One driver was even going 55 km where a child was waiting to cross and failed to stop.
FULL LIST OF INFRACTIONS SPOTTED:
- Stopping in a no-stopping/parking zone: 68
- Speeding: 173
- Not obeying road signs: 28
- Motorists fails to stop at a crosswalk or stop sign: 587
- Distracted driving: 79
- Pedestrian infractions: 129
- Cyclist infractions: 130
- Changing lanes illegally and failing to signal: 185
- Improper drop-off in parking lot: 29
- Unsafe drop-off: 69
Be cautious of kids and save yourself some money. Just pay attention and and slow down.
Read more here.